979-11-6861-002-6 74810
Price
13,000 WON
Date
2021-12-30
Contents
Fairy tale

Overview

A children’s historical tale about the friendship of U-chi and Ja-ha who pursue freedom in the class society of Silla Dynasty  

The Secret of the Golden Silkworm is a historical tale of children, depicting the friendship of U-chi and Ja-ha in the Silla Dynasty period. It is the nineteenth book of the Dreaming Boramae series. The book introduces U-chi who goes out to pick mulberry leaves everyday to feed the silkworms and Ja-ha, who could potentially become the sacrificial offering at the rite; Bi-yun, the aristocrat, who always finds smiling U-chi displeasing; and diverse other characters. The story is centered around the rite, with many lively conflicts and incidents taking place. In addition, readers will be moved by U-chi’s efforts to save the life of his friend, Ja-ha, in the backdrop of Seorabeol, Silla. Following The Secret of Haeori Sea and The Hungry Yellow Stingray, The Secret of the Golden Silkworm is the third collaboration of the author, Jo Mihyoung and illustrator, Park Kyounghyo where the background of Silla unfolds like a picture. 

The rite for the goddess of silk

The friends who dictate their own fate

U-chi who lives in Seorabeol is a mischievous boy who loves to play with his friends out in the field. He lives with his mother and they grow silkworms that were bestowed on them by the palace. It is a most precious thing but it is not easy to nurture them. The mulberry trees within their reach all belong to the palace and U-chi has to climb up the mountain to pick the leaves. The silkworms get a tasty meal, thanks to his efforts, but show no sign of making silk thread. U-chi mumbles to himself, “Come on, why aren’t you making any silk thread? If you poop poop, then you are poop bug, if you make silk then you become a silkworm.”

Then one day, a notice with the king’s decree is posted before the rite for the goddess of silk—that a wish will be granted to one who makes the finest offering at the rite. U-chi ponders about what he could wish for and dreams of becoming a great merchant who trades silk in the West. 

Meanwhile, U-chi’s close friend, Ja-ha, lives in the palace shrine. She misses her father who went off on a commercial ship. But since the royal announcement was made, an air of unease clouds over the shrine because of an oracle that says a little girl had to be sacrificed as an offering at the rite the goddess of silk. The people are distraught over how a living person has to be sacrificed but nonetheless, they choose Ja-ha as the one. She tries to flee from her fate but it isn’t easy. U-chi who finds out about it belatedly attempts to rescue her. Will they be able to overcome it?

If only what you wish for can come true

A dream that is freely sought

The Secret of a Golden Silkworm depicts the friendship of U-chi who goes after his dream and Ja-ha who wants her freedom. U-chi’s struggle to help his dear friend, Ja-ha, in crisis will make readers reflect on the preciousness of friendship. Moreover, the customs and mores of the Silla Period are delineated in not too heavy but in a friendly manner for easier understanding. 

For some, freedom is taken for granted and for others, it is something that is desperately sought. This book that shows what “free will” is by way of Ja-ha and U-chi will also make readers reflect on the value of freedom. Like U-chi, who dreams of becoming a great merchant in the West, you too can harbor a dream. 

About author

When I was little, I wanted to become an adventurer of sea. I write about dreams, hopes, adventures and that which will provide comfort to readers. My books, The Secret of the Haeori Sea and The Hungry Yellow Stingray about the sea adventure fantasy, have been loved by the children. I am the author of Gorilla 1, Gorilla 2, and People and Cube Sugar. I love the sea and taking a walk. I spend much of my time, walking on old streets and thinking of strange but fun stories that I could tell.